Mindgardens will provide NSW with a strong integrated facility to drive research and leading clinical services in one of the most important medical areas of the 21st century.
Specifically, Mindgardens will deliver public benefits such as:
- tertiary referral clinics servicing the state and specialised clinics to meet the needs of poorly serviced disorders which will be of benefit to 10,000 patients each year
- clinics which will showcase best practice and be used to disseminate state-of-the-art models of care and contribute to the training of the 125,000 strong NSW health workforce, especially through links to rural and regional centres
- promotion of prevention and self-help through development and widespread community use of eHealth services
- a powerhouse of researchers in one hub stimulated by co-location, synergies of interactions and access to cutting edge technologies able to build research capacity and attract significant grant funding, well beyond the current $50M per annum
- 710 continuing research and research support positions and become a magnet for many more
- the creation of up to 800 construction jobs.
For patients and families, Mindgardens will provide:
- integrated, individualised care which is designed, organised and constantly evaluated to be the standard that other services follow, from the home to clinic to hospital and back home
- the comfort of knowing that they are part of a deep and talented research collaboration focused on outcomes by improving knowledge and achieving meaningful results and new treatments/models of care in the shortest possible time
- access to clinical trials of the latest treatments in a safe, caring environment
- being part of a modern care system which utilises leading edge Internet and computer based technologies to provide cost effective care close to home
- the latest knowledge to maximise the ability to self-manage and retain autonomy
- care in a major centre that has world leading expertise in consumer engagement.
For the NSW Government & Health Service, Mindgardens will:
- minimise wasted resources through integrated care in the most cost-effective location, with efficient use of high value diagnostic and treatment technologies
- deliver higher patient and community satisfaction
- reduce the burden of disease through early intervention, constant development and improvement of cost effective interventions and the exploitation of patient self-management
- be a developer and role model for cheap and effective primary prevention in the community
- be a resource of cross disciplinary problem-solving for policy-makers and legislators
- have the capacity to deal with potentially costly multi morbidity in a ‘one-stop shop’.